Spirit, Soul and Body:
Last Sunday I begin a short but powerful series called; Spirit, Soul and Body. The first message was designed to be a basic introduction. But, let me briefly summarize what we discussed last week. In short, your spirit is the part of you that influences your soul and body either with the life of God or with death due to sin. Your soul is the part of you that thinks, decides and is emotional. Your body is your flesh that is out just for you, it is your animal instincts or as it is called your natural man.
This morning I wish to teach you what this means or the implications of Spirit, Soul and Body for the believer. So, let us begin today by reading our text in 1 Thessalonians 5:23, the Bible says; 23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Because I am a spirit, with a soul, housed in a body, God will communicate to me.
Colossians 1:27, I Corinthians 1:30
To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
1 Corinthians 1:30
30 And because of him, you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption.
- Because I am a spirit, with a soul, housed in a body, God will give me help from within.
Psalm 20:2, 1 Corinthians 3:16-17
2 May he send you help from the sanctuary and give you support from Zion!
1 Corinthians 3:16-17
16 Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? 17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.
- Because I am a spirit, with a soul, housed in a body, God will give me revelation of His truth.
1 Corinthians 2:11-13
1 Corinthians 2:11-13
11 For who knows a person’s thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. 13 And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
- Because I am a spirit, with a soul, housed in a body, God will give me insight into the reason people need to be born again.
John 3:3, Romans 6:23, Ephesians 2:1
3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
2 And you were dead in the trespasses and sins.
- We must focus in on the Spirit of God that lives in our spirits.
- Power and control from God resides within, not without.
- Victory is on the inside, in our spirit man, where God has chosen to reside.